Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fashionable Winter

I like magazines. I know we get too many magazines, the printed kind. I can't seem to read books or magazines on the web (so why are these blogs so darn long, right?). We get sports magazines and an entertainment magazine. Those are the ones Huz regularly reads. Then I get a whole slog of other magazines, interiors, food, horses, even a whole magazine just about foxhunting. One of the magazines I get most excited to read is my fashion magazine. But I was thinking, why? How much call do I have to really be fashionable? Every so often Huz and I call in the parents from their far-flung homes to watch kids and farm and off we jet. Usually, as this is because Huz is speaking at a conference, it is to a city. There, I can be reasonably fashionable. I can bring ridiculous amounts of shoes (every great outfit starts at the bottom) and swish dresses, vamp about drinking martinis and getting my hair blown dry by someone else for the cost of a full run to the feed store. But, this is maybe once a year.
Church is a fine reason to get a bit spiff, and I'm pretty certain most of the members at our church think I'm a girl.
Work, well, I try to look professional. But, being practical, I will be sitting, kneeling and crawling around on a floor all day covered with dog and cat hair at the best, bodily effusions at the worst. As for footwear, you have to be able to be quick on your feet and still hold a 180 lb mastiff from pulling you right out the front door and down the street. You have to realize that those shoes are going to get "stuff" on them. Everything on your body should be able to be washed in hot water and bleach.No dangly earrings (hard enough to hear the heartbeat and lung sounds in a growling cat or 90 lb beagle without the help of earsplitting clanking noises courtesy of your earbobs. Check out your doctor- if she's wearing dangly earrings, she's not going to want to use that stethoscope, really!) delicate necklaces or watches that aren't waterproof - bleaching rules apply. In any case, work is not the fashion place for me that it is for many women.
Do I read that magazine cover to cover because I don't want to completely lose touch and settle for a  long denim jumper with a white turtleneck covered in valentines, holly, Easter bunnies, American flags, fall leaves- complete with white socks and crocs? Well, if that is my only barrier, keep that magazine coming.
Maybe it is for the comic relief. As the magazine urges me to consider Emmy Rossum's flirty winter outfit: A lightweight spring minidress made "winter-ready" by tossing on a faux fur shrug and cozy suede boots... I think  "WHERE IS THAT 'WINTER-READY'?"  As mentioned in a previous blog, I have lived in a whole passel of places, and none could I wear a lightweight spring dress and a faux fur shrug, bare arms,legs, head, hands, etc. and prance down the street. Closest would be spending my winter in New Zealand. But that really shouldn't count as our winter is their summer. Natch?

 Fashion Magazine "Dress for Winter":
Btw, I think this is my friend, ReRe.
My winter:
Note the faux fur eyelashes. If I went out in a spring minidress, I would certainly be sportin' those.

Okay, well, neither of these pictures are of me, and I've not got a license to use them, so I may end up trying out my winter fashion in prison for copyright infringement.

I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a white tulle ballgown and cropped tuxedo jacket. Just incase.

No comments:

Post a Comment