Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cowfeathers Annual New Year's Day Open House...that's a mouthful.

Enjoying a large glass of "Cate" wine, (really, Sonoma '09) I'm an oenophile, without the connoisseur part- and looking back on a very warm and fun Cowfeathers New Year's Day Open House. This has been an annual tradition since 2002- with one skipped year in '04(cannot recollect why we skipped). We even stuck with it in '05, the year of the ice storm that got us to leave the farm for days. Today, after all had left and there were dents here and there in the cookies, chocolates, cakes, cheeses (seeing a "C" theme here), et al, I realized I had taken nary a photo. Not one! I have wonderful pictures from most all the years past. And then. Oh well. So I snapped a few close ups of the table and decided I might do a better job next year. Then, my computer tells me the photo files all have errors. Not meant to be, I think. Still, it did what it was meant to do- bring in the neighbors and some other farther flung friends and let me see their shining faces on the first day of our new year. Perfect.
Within the guest pool, we had two in crazy contraptions for fixing of "owies". One left arm, one right. We had neighbors I have not seen all year pop in. We had a family make the trek from The Big City- who we haven't seen since we moved here. Their Eldest  was in my Middlest's preschool class, so grown up! We had whole families and parts of - 15 different families or so. And the Resolution Tree continues. We now have many hundred resolutions from over the years hanging on our Christmas tree. It goes from Christmas Tree to Resolution Tree in this week between the holidays. I labored over my Resolution, but ended up winging it in the end. I love making promises to myself that allow for creation. Kinda like a busy little bee, sure that the season will be short, so making each trip fast and full from bloom to bloom.
 In the immortal words of Fred Rogers..."Won't you be, won't you be, please- won't you be my neighbor". Thank you neighbors, and friends for starting 2011 in our home.
 Hey- I got the pictures to load!
This is the Resolution Tree. Most of the older res's are hung on the back to leave easy hanging space for those from this year.


The back of the tree.

In the aftermath. Cupcakes are picked on, cheeses are gone (parts back to the fridge) and the kidfoods are decimated (potato chips, chocolate dipped pretzels, popped corn)

We made "mountains" under a length of silver lame( doesn't everyone have 3 yds of silver lame in their linen closet?) and then made skiers, skaters and sledders from pipecleaners and unspun wool roving (doesn't everyone have unspun wool roving?) Sometimes I wonder at what is around the house.

A sledder, and a few skaters on a mid-table iced pond.

A few gingerbread snowflakes remain. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment