Monday, December 19, 2011

Industry at Cowfeathers. The press has begun!

Well youngest is in industrial mode. He has loaded the dishwasher (his chore this week) and then begun the cookie baking- which is a huge undertaking. There are 11 kinds of cookies, 4 kinds of truffles and bear claws to be created. He's gotten the sugar cookie dough in the fridge and the korova cookie dough as well (korova's are a rich dark chocolate and fleur de sel flaky- cookie...heaven. Dorie Greenspan recipe from Paris Sweets). I sidetracked him to dinner, and while I created a oyster mushroom and shrimp with creamy spinach polenta provencale, he is mixing up a fresh fruit salad of grapefruit, oranges, pineapple and pink lady apples. I like having a cooking partner! Now, if I could just keep him home from school, think of what we could accomplish!
The Marching Band fruit sale delivered their orders this weekend. We are well set for orange and grapefruit everything...juice, salad, peel and eat!

Perhaps my favorite thing about this photo is the strands of time. For instance, the spatula. It is my favorite. Acquired at a yard sale in 1988 or so for my first "household". Everything I had was hand me down, or tag sale. And some were keepers! The Caphalon pan was a wedding gift from Huz friends, Kathleen R. and Dr. Gary. The Revereware pan in the background was a Christmas gift from my grandparents at the end of the eighties, part of a whole set. It is now subbing in for my beloved tea kettle that malfunctioned this week, and forgot to whistle. I, naturally forgot the kettle was on (thus why it had been beloved for its whistle) and it got a bit melty. Threads that tie together all the bits of our lives are all around me. And the dinner was tasty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment