Tuesday, December 20, 2011

RamRam vs. Post

 The other day, Cesar, the ram decided that a certain post in the front field where he was spending the day was not to be borne. Let me preface that by writing that the choice is not unusual. Cesar has not prevailed in Ram vs. Post yet, but has won many a battle in Ram vs. Fence Board. Also, victories in  Ram vs. Gate Chain and several minor skirmishes against buckets, salt blocks and feed bins. So, I think his previous failures in bringing down a post had left him with courage right on the sticking spot. Although surely more ragged for it, the post won again. But, this time, Cesar came away with a skinned rambone.

This is the top of his head. He doesn't hold still, ever. So, this is the best shot I got of the skinned place on his rambone. That is my technical term for the ridge of bone between his eyes that he uses for great destruction.
Now, the question is...will it ever heal? This particular part of Cesar gets quite a regular workout. For several days, I have squirted it with healing spray, only to watch him then bash his head into the nearest wall, or, a favorite, the hog panel that separates him from the ewes. I think this is beloved not just because he would like to be close to me- he doesn't bash the panel unless I'm in the ewes pen, but because he can make it move at great velocity, which sometimes make contact with my poor body.
Here he is giving his Himalayan Salt Block a toss. I hung it right at ram height, which sometimes distracts him enough that he can choose to whack at that instead of  drive the hog panel towards my behind as I work with the ewes. The blue ball is his soccer ball. He paws it and then rams at it, It is made of indestructible voodoo materials and has lasted for months now.
The big, woolly blob in the bottom left corner is Dancer. Her head is in the sodium bicarbonate(dish of white stuff). She really is a block of wool with a head and 4 legs. Cesar is getting ready to make a steal of the bicarb.
He has successfully pawed the bicarb into his pen, and is now mashing at it with his head. This will in effect cover his broken skin with bicarb. Very basic.


And this is Dolores, not participating in any of the silliness. As you can see, she is getting the Griffin look from the crutching. I've got her back legs done, and now need to flip her over and get her belly freed of wool. Personally, I would like to think she looks very hopeful that I will do it directly in this photo. Practically, it is more likely she is hoping I will forget that the grain has been given and put more in her bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment