Friday, December 16, 2011

Moving Day

Am I moving? Yes. It is my main job. I am a professional mover. When Huz calls on the phone and asks what I am up to, my thought is always "I'm moving." Sometimes this even slips out, and he says "What?" and I must explain, lest he thinks me and all my "stuff" will be gone before he gets home. (Which, I think secretly might strike glee into his heart, hopefully not if I was gone, but if some of my "stuff" disappeared..) But, I don't mean "moving" as in trucks and cardboard boxes. I mean moving as in it is what actually occurs all day long.
I move dishes from the dishwasher to the shelves, dirty dishes back to the sink, then move to dishwasher. I move laundry from one room, to the washer, to the dryer and back. I move dirty dog footprints from the kitchen floor, to the sink, the dirt in the sink down the drain. I move backpacks, and reusable shopping bags, bags of horse feed have to move from car to barn, then to feed bins, to be made into manure, which...yep....then gets moved to the manure pile where it composts then gets moved to the gardens. What grows in the gardens must be moved to the kitchen, where it gets made into food, creating dirty dishes that need moving, leftovers that get moved into the refrigerator, and then, if uneaten, move to the chicken house for a treat.
I move books from the library to the house and back again, food from the grocery to the refrigerator, or the pantry. I move newspaper from the kitchen table, the dining room table, the living room, the sunroom and the floor to the recycle bin. Then, I move the recycling from the mudroom to the car and from the car to the Abitibi recycler at the school. I move the shop vac from the mudroom to each room in the house (yes, a 5 HP, 12 gallon shopvac is my vacuum cleaner of choice- did I mention farms are dirty?)  Moving the dog hair, the dried mud, the assorted bits that fit through the hose- the rule if it fits through the hose, and you left it lying around...byebye- it's moved.
I move horses from the paddock to the pasture and back. I move mud from their coats to the floor and then from the floor back out the door- to be applied back on the horses with their next roll. I move hay from the wagon to the loft, from the loft to the ground floor of the barn, from the bale to the stall. I move straw the same way, and then out to that growing pile of nitrogen rich compost. I move electric wire back into place after the sheep make their way through. I move the dog kennel to get to the shelf that holds the extention cords so I can plug in the lights that I moved from the basement (hey, not really. This year my kids did the moving from the basement to the upstairs!) to hang on the Christmas trees that the family moved from Saum's Tree Farm to our house. I move water from the sink to the trees and my neglected indoor plants, including the 4 Christmas cactuses that bloom most of the year, thriving on neglect. And now, I move presents from the pile in the corner of the bedroom to the living room to be wrapped and placed under the tree. Today is Moving Day. Just like any other.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Sounds just like my life ... only replace the horse stuff with goats. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete