Friday, September 24, 2010

Hot Wind



Wind is a part of life here at Cowfeathers. Thus, the windmill.  But the Hot Wind is here. Well over ninety degrees out and the wind does not cool your skin, it is just hotter. I rode for a few hours today, nothing strenuous, just trying to get Samantha K. back into the riding mode before she goes on loaner for the hunt season. I find myself tired nonetheless. I believe it is the wind. Loud and constant and hot. After I had gotten on Samantha and was midway down the lane, I heard the sound of the combine and realized they were about to take the soybeans off (this is farm lingo for harvest the soybeans out of the field). The soybean field is about 30 feet from the back of the house. Harvesting soybeans is a very dusty affair. Hot wind +dust+open windows in house close to field= mess. So, Samantha and I raced back to the house, I jumped off her, leaving her on the patio and raced around the house closing windows. Even so, this computer was under a nice layer of soybean grit. Good mare that she is, she was calmly waiting for me to return, one back hoof resting, reins short on one side, practically on the ground with the other, and hanging off one ear. We then went to go enjoy the sun and hot wind far away from the soybean dust filling our noses and sticking to our eyelashes. No worries, with that wind we were soon covered in all manner of earth's products. Dust Bowl II.
After a splash about in the tub, I was mostly dust free and ready to head off to FootBand Friday Night.
We made our way to the town of Carroll...who knew there was a town? Not me! And as we paid our $16 admission fee, a few fat raindrops joined us at the gate. They brought friends. Lots of them. Not prepared at all for rain, we made our way to the Away stands in a downpour and sought refuge under the stands for most of the first quarter. So, leaving home in 94 degrees with a hot wind landed us in damp clothes,sitting in puddle filled bleachers as a lovely cold front made me regret my tank top and light sweater optimism.
Thank you, young football heathens, for an exciting game!

No comments:

Post a Comment