Friday, September 17, 2010

Ode to the Outhouse

Through the outhouse window..

Okay, yesterday I wrote poetry, today I will be poetry in motion. Task? Clean the outhouse. I have a really pretty outhouse. Several years ago, I realized that it would be useful to have a bathroom in the barn. I think I have made the point previously (Livin' Large) that I am thrifty. Building a bathroom in the barn would be doable, perhaps even, fun. But, building an outhouse would be practical, and thrifty. Indeed.
So, I built a cute little outhouse. That winter the wind blew it right over. So, that spring I put it back on it's feet, repaired the roof, broken window panes- actually a nice neighbor came over and did those, and went on with my life. Then, in 2009, whilst brushing my teeth in an actual bathroom I noticed something different about the barn hill. When my mind clicked, I was astonished: the outhouse had disappeared! Gone? How is that possible? So, I tramped up to the barn to investigate. Sure enough, it was no longer there. Instead, It was about 30 yards away, on it's side in the soy bean field. Hmm. It is what you could call "windy" at Cowfeathers. Must've been a doozie.
So, there it stayed, while I mulled over how to drag it, roll it, dismantle and move it back onto the hill.
In April, the 4H club meets at our barn for the day. Each 4H member does a little presentation for the rest of the club. Lots of folks in the barn means I wish I had my outhouse. But it inspired me to mention the dilemma. Sure enough, lunch break found many adults out in the field, rolling, dragging and moving it back out of the field and wrassling it back to it's spot.

Party at my house! Always an adventure.
 In order to help prevent furthur "Dorothy"s  by the outhouse, this time, as I rebuilt the roof and repaired the structure, door, etc, I bolted the outhouse to a post sunk deep in the ground and concrete.
It made it through last winter, and has served me and friends, neighbors, passerby? (okay, that isn't too likely) well. So, a spiffing today of the outhouse. Polish the crystals, fresh candles, clean seat, windexed mirror- and despidered. New rug, change the artwork, heavy, soft toilet paper. To all local friends who had an outhouse as children, my version never ceases to amuse...

No comments:

Post a Comment