Thursday, September 2, 2010

Naughty Nod

Early morning phone call from dear friend, Mrs. Z. They are generously allowing one of our rams to live with them- you know" too many cooks in the kitchen" ...
Anyhow, Nod is not feeling well! He is off his feed, and feeling down. So, with 11 minutes to spare in my morning, I packed my youngest into the car for the trip down the road, my basket of goodies in tow to see what I could do. His heartbeat was rapid, he was pale and definitely not himself. 6 minutes left. Drench deworm the fella, drench with nutradrench, give probiotics, 6cc vitamin B complex intramuscularly, dash back to car. See bus turning down the road. Chase bus. Goodhearted bus driver stops to collect youngest. Then a rush to get barn chores done and wash up to be in public. Not a Coverall day.
Now, home again for a few minutes before youngest gets back off the bus. We will go check on Nod. I hope to see him up and alert. We will repeat steps 2 and 3, repeat step 4 tomorrow, and then I think in a few days, switch out rams so I can keep a closer eye on him. Cesar used to be the unthrifty one. Now that boy is a big marshmallow. He practically looks pregnant. I think Nod will appreciate a switcheroo for the fall. Plus he'll have to learn how to walk on a lead, come when he's called and maybe, just maybe, he won't see all cleaning tools as enemies to be destroyed.

1 comment:

  1. He died! I am so sad. At 4:30 he looked terrible. Much worse than in the morning. I did a few things and hoped for the best. It wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete