Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend is for relaxing?

Well, I suppose working on Saturday does truly shorten the weekend part, but I can't complain as it isn't like I work the normal 5 days a week. So, whilst I was vaccinating Pookie, and discussing flea control for Oliver, my Middleist was warming the seventh grade girls' volleyball bench. I hear I didn't miss much, as she never got on the floor once the whistle started play. They lost. The rest of my family watched. Then Eldest was deposited at the High School to get ready for the band show, along with the bagged dinners I managed to make around the Footband Friday Night schedule. The dinners for 120 were not solely my responsibility (thank you, Lord), but the tricky thing was they had to have certain items, and then, the bags need to be decorated and inspirational. Also, PBJ made the day before is icky. So, huz was slotted for making the PBJ's and delivering the bags.
When I got home from work, my Middleist and I did the barn chores, early, and hopped in the car to drive  to the other side of The Big City to watch the Band Contest. Apparently my bags did not hold enough inspiration. I thought their show was wonderful. The judges did not agree. And, another night in the football stands that starts as hot, and ends with a 30 degree drop in temperature and a gale force wind meant the family huddled together like a pile of puppies. (Well, except for Huz, who can't take all the wiggling and elbows involved). So, as Saturday rolled into Sunday, the roosters were singing too soon, and I dragged out of bed to get ready for the next. Youngest and Huz were off to the Boy Scout Shooteree, and Middleist and I were off to the Dressage show. Eldest had a long involved day of lying in bed planned.
This was the first Dressage show for my Middleist, and she was, well, reluctant. (As in: turned into Carrie and shot flames from both eyeballs). I pointed out that many children would not think of being provided with a horse and an opportunity to ride it as child abuse. Attitude improved somewhat, we packed food and fired up the Big Girl (Blondie, my monster truck) to go collect horses from the front pasture. My uber-calm dressage horse welcomed the occasion by busting through a back gate and wildly jumping the farm creek, galloping and farting and jumping and screaming whinnies until he felt properly prepared to be shut in a metal box hurtling down the highway at 60 mph. We then followed my dressage (coach, instructor, trainer? I don't know what she wants to be called; she stands in the middle of the ring, hollers instruction and Oslo and I get better at this) to another farm to pick up Ari. Ari is one of my dressage coach/trainer/instructor's(from now on to be known as Christy) pupils. His owner, Amber, doesn't ride much, but likes to watch her horse be pretty, so employs Christy to ride and train and show him.
So, with the sun up and the windows too- chilly morning! We drove to the other side of The Big City and South Wind Stable. With only about a half hour until Georgia's ride time, we all helped her get ready and get on Peach. Christy and I played Dressage Show Barbie with her, and by the time she was dressed for the ring she looked way too professional and WAY too grown up!

My baby girl!

Happily trotting along...
She performed her first dressage test without mishap- and had fun! She also placed third and brought home a yellow ribbon. I'm very proud of her for doing this, despite her reluctance. If we do new things often enough, as painful as it is to do so, I'm hoping she'll realize mostly fun ensues. Life is a series of educational moments, and how you choose to handle the education. Or as Robert Frost pointed out; education leads to self confidence.
Check them out!
I videoed the actual test. If I had figured out youtube, I would post it. I have not figured out youtube.





We then had about 5 hours until Christy and I rode. Since Georgia's test was an Intro test in the small arena, and Christy and I were riding more complicated tests in the big arena, the space in between was filled with the other competitors. So, we chatted, ate, groomed my big, dirty horse until he shined. Christy braided his unruly mane in french braid. Georgia did homework including counting 448 Skittles from a bag, and then working on eating them all. About 1:30, friends Terry and daughter, Emma arrived for moral support and friend time. Terry was my personal paparrazzi, so I got a lot of great photos of Oslo with me on top.
A successful canter- one of the few today!


Now, Christy and Ari happened to be riding the same tests as Oslo and Me. We did very little trash talking, as it was likely Oslo and I were going to get our butts kicked. He has a very handsome butt. So handsome in fact, that he put the dressage judge into a trance of love that caused her to give him high scores, and her phone number. Really. Now, to be fair, not all our scores were high. The aforementioned foiled canter sequences earned 3's and 4's. This is out of 10. That is bad. But we had enough 6's and 7's with an occasional 8 to place us second!

Wow!
The Shooteree was a success as well, and my Youngest bubbled with excitement and information right through barn chores and dinner. He earned some belt badges and had the most fun in the Archery unit and blowing stuff up. Thank the Lord, again, for my Huz. Who also had fun shooting stuff in the air, and blowing stuff up.  
Comparing tests- and with slightly better scores edging her into 3rd place in both tests, a little trash talking...

Now onto the week.... must make 25 centerpieces for banquet tomorrow night, and veterinary school recommendations for Kendra, and Volleyball game tonight. Tomorrow decorate for banquet, and attend banquet.  Sadly will also attend visiting hours for a wonderful family man and friend who passed away on Saturday. He was special, and sweet, and welcoming. I think that is why I am dragging today. He had 5 children, many grandchildren and even some great grands- and all are hurting, along with his irrepressible and gracious wife, who will now have to make her way without him.
Maybe next week...month...year?  will be for relaxing.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty Middleist, and pretty ponies!

    I always contend that elephants have trainers, humans have instructors.

    ReplyDelete