Monday, November 22, 2010

A different era

Equus Magazine, December 2010, page 13;
"In a different era, bran mashes were fed to hardworking horses on cold days to ward off colic, increase their water intake and warm them up. However, modern research has shown that bran mashes don't actually offer those benefits.."
So it has come to this. I am of a Different Era. Ouch.
Bran mashes were part of our winter horsing routine growing up in Connecticut. It was cold there. And, the bran mashes were especially festive on the holidays. We made a terrific one on Christmas Eve with warm water, molasses, chopped apples and carrots. It smelled divine and the horses all tucked into their feeders. I never really thought it medicinal, but a treat. Now, years later, in a Different Era, I still make bran mashes in the winter. Samantha is not a fan. She has always been a bit odd about things other horses would consider a treat, so I dismissed this. I gave it to her anyway as her poop tends to be too runny. So, in this way, I did begin to use it medicinally. But mostly, I like the comfort food aspect for the horses. I'm sure I could do the same using their normal pelleted ration, and that is still their main feed even on bran mash days, but bran feels better to me. It is from my Era.

No comments:

Post a Comment