Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veterans behind me.

Sometimes I visualize the history of my family as this band of light, as from an old fashioned movie projector. I am no longer right at the front next to the apeture opening. My children stand there, but behind me the light gets wider and wider. Standing in this light are all the little figures that had to live and die in order for me to be there, in the front. As the light band gets wider, the dress and costume of the ancestors change. The depression, the Great War, the industrial age, the pioneers, the immigrants. At the widest part of the band are a suprising number of folks whose names I know. Laurens Janszoon Coster born 1370 in Haarlem, The Netherlands.  Johann and Anna Susanna Koster -1641, Richard Warren, born in Queens, NY in 1641. He married Lydia Aderly, born 1650.  Johann Ludwig Kister, 1723, Christian Lauffer, 1730.....
And they came to the New World. The Warrens were of Plymouth Colony. The ties go back to the start of our country. And they fought for it. Many of the people behind me are in uniform, some died that way.
George Phillip Keister, served as a Corporal in Captain Thomas Stokely's Ranging Company from Westmoreland County in the American Revolution. Frederick Warren, living in Western PA would have been in his 30's when the Revolution began not sure how he was involved, Christian Lauffer nicknamed "The Pioneer" would also have been of fighting age. Captain Thomas Warren was prominent in the Indian Wars in Western PA and commanded a Company of Calvary at Tippecanoe under General William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812. His Grandson, Samuel Harvey Warren served in the 6th Regiment, Pennsylvania Vounteers 1864-1865, fought at Burkes Station in the American Civil War. Philip Keister served in the War of 1812. John L. Keister, born 1845 volunteered twice in the Union Army and during the second tour was wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness, dying in 1864 in a Confederate Hospital. James D. Keister, born 1846, volunteered in 1864, was wounded at Hatchers Run and mustered out in May of 1865. He later died of the wounds sustained there. Henry Keister volunteered in the Union Army, but made it out and had a long life. Phillip George Keister joined the Co. H 36th Iowa Infantry in 1862. Robert D. Humes born 1833 was wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg. My Great, Great "Uncle Bill', William Park Humes Keister, born 1887, died in 1984 and was a communications expert, pioneer of radio in WW1. My Great Uncle Raymond Wentworth served in the Navy in WW2. My Father, George Thomas Hamilton graduated from West Point Military Academy in 1963 and went to Vietnam. How many have I forgotten? How many do I not know about? Lots. Certainly. But I am so proud of those behind and the gift they have given those of us in front.
James D. Keister, taken before leaving for service of the Union Army, 1864

John L. Keister, died in the Battle of the Wilderness, 1864

No comments:

Post a Comment