Friday, November 5, 2010

Undecided

It is easier to be outside than to leave the house. What I mean, is, leaving the warmth of the mudroom, with it's little propane heater chugging away maintaining a balmy 50 degrees is a bit torturous. It is damply cold out, hovering around freezing, and little bits of moisture sting your face. Frozen rain? Snow? Undecided. It smells like early winter. There have been years when it smelled like this just before Christmas. Lovely years with a late arrival of the deep cold. Pair that will early spring, and you'd have midwestern perfection....
But, that is getting ahead of the game. My tromp out to the barn leaves me thinking maybe a Saturday spent on the trail with the big black horse could be chilly. Should we venture forth? Undecided. Since I have no partner with which to ride tomorrow, I'm not already locked into finding the layers necessary to ride out.
Honestly, I have not tried too hard. Middlest has a commitment, and my reliable trail riding friend is welcoming, but going out with a group that will be too swift and go too far for the big black. We'd likely hold them back.
The goose/duck pool is not frozen. Odd. But it is very dirty. They love clean water, but pick up dirt in their beaks and spit it in the water until it is brown and a thick layer of silt lays on the bottom of the pool. I will start morning chores with a clean pool. The water trough is getting low, but should I fill it, or get the modern trough out, with the heating element in it, and fill it up? Undecided. We could have a few weeks left of the big trough before it gets too cold. Maybe?
I think I will  need more straw this winter than is in the loft. But, I'm undecided. Big surprise. I weigh the options, and think perhaps, my best option is to do what needs to be done and leave the rest for another day. One in which I'm more decisive!

No comments:

Post a Comment