Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yes, We Can?

I'm not a very politically motivated gal. Politics scare me. For one, people get really hot, but I'm often unsure what, exactly, they are hot about. Sort of like reading a tax return makes my brain shrivel and my adrenals start leaking, hearing politispeak makes me feel like a slug under a rain of salt. I have to say, though, I'm a bit disappointed in the "Yes, We Can"ners. What exactly did that mean? Because there is a lot of things we can do. Like, put up Christmas decorations in October and breed a Chihuahua to a Poodle, call it a Choodle and sell it for the bargain price of $1500.  But perhaps "Yes We Can" was left a bit open to interpretation, and it seems that the believers seem to have their knickers in a twist. I'm, again, unclear on what exactly it was they thought we could do, but apparently, it wasn't done properly.  I was sort of hopeful that the group that was so confident in the last election that their elected officials were on the same page would stick by them, give them more time, not expect "drive-thru" service, but be faithful to their candidates. I was not a "Canner". But I was truly hopeful that this was at least a stand, instead of a blame-game. How were the democrats supposed to take a tanking economy, in a consumerist society and fix it- immediately? The Great Depression did not begin on an October morning, and lift on a September night. It lingered. Suffering of long standing, and learning how to sustain your life and that of your family became each person's personal responsibility. Of course, the people of the 1930's may have had a leg up on us there, because they still understood that food did not come from Wal-Mart, and they didn't define suffering as not having brand new...cars, clothes, homes, electronics, crayons....we are terribly spoiled. I'd like to think Americans are voting for something, but I'm afraid they are just voting against. I can't see how anyone wins there. Can We Now? Still, I am hopeful. Is that audacious?

No comments:

Post a Comment