Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rain?

For the first time in months, we are getting a bit of "real" rain on the farm. "Real" rain is the kind that comes down softly giving a drink to the ground. We have had furious, angry, drowning rain, that just washes everything on the top away, and leaves the high ground dry again in hours. Now we are having the grey, wet November days. These days are the tide of winter, rising up and pulling me where I don't want to go. The horses have had a wonderful time rolling in the mud, encrusting their coats so they are colorless. To groom Oslo, I really should have safety goggles. He is so tall that currying the mud off his back and rump send dust and clumps raining down, coating my skin, clouding my eyes. But, must be done, like the dishes and the laundry, to be done again tomorrow.
I have my Youngest home from school with a fever, so poor mite is being dragged along to my work, errands, etc. He can at least be curled up to heal tomorrow. Middlest reminded me she needs to dress like a lass from the 1500's in the morning, and have a speedy costume change to be a Renaissance Duchess- and if it's not too much trouble, could you bring some sheep to the middle school by noon?
 Scarily enough, fashioning a Renaissance costume is not too difficult in my closet. Cotton camicia, brocade bodice, sottana(dark petticoat type layers) and berrettino silk overskirt. Even fashioned a light velo. For the duchess, simply add an angora balzo to the hair, a wool ground sweeping cape and a Brocchetta di spalla (brooch on the left shoulder) . Voila. White and silk being very expensive at the time, and berrettino(dark grey) being fashionable even a believable choice for a young aristocrat.

Renaissance lass

The Duchess


Now, for the sheep?
 Now, if I just had several dozen cookies in my closet.... Middlest needs those by Saturday morning, packaged in groups of three for the Girl Scout Booth at the Holly Happenings Bazaar at the high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment