Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I sit.


Tried this last night. It was mild and beautiful yesterday, as my friend Dave S. said "wish we had a few months of this weather, I could get caught up on the farm". As the sun went down (before 6!)displaying its rainbow colors, I sat in a chair on the barn hill and watched. Now, sitting has not been a talent of mine. I can sit when I'm doing something, eating, writing, riding, spinning, etc. but not just to sit and look. But, I found myself with an opportunity, filling the goose pool and the sun had gone, leaving the streak of red on the horizon with the melding in of the orange, yellow, green, blue and violet into the night sky. Hanging over the acacias was a sliver moon, the shadow of the orb visible behind and a few early stars up overhead. The sheep had picked the chair up and left it next to the fence, so I drug it into a flat place and sat. I felt a tingle of pleasure of the idea of just sitting in the quiet. The ducks had headed into the barn for the night, Middlest and Youngest were distributing hay. For possibly 3 minutes I sat and enjoyed the sky and the reflection of it in the pool of water. I could count the lights from other homes into the distance, from right to left there were 12 lights. Serenity, peace, a moment right there.
Then Youngest arrived, shimmering with energy, and the gander needed to be herded up from the car (his second love now that his mate is gone), and then the pool was filled and the hose needed to be put away and we needed to load up and go to 4-H.....
But, I sat. I'm going to try it again sometime. I might even become a sitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment